Slarty... I disagree. Under the law, the Nephil and Sliths are on the Friendly Species list, and are equal in Present Day. The Nephilim can start a business in Formello as easily as a human. A Slith bandit gets hung just the same as a human one. Sure, there's residual racism from humans, but on the whole part the Nephilim, Slithzerikai, and Humans are seen as equal. So, basically, I don't see what you complain of as untrue. -- Goldenking
- Please sign your posts. :) Also, please put a *summary* of your edit in the summary box, not the entire edit.
- First, where are your assertions above coming from? As far as I can tell, the comments about businesses and hanging don't come from the games. They sound like assertions based on your own conclusions about how things are.
- Second, being equal "under the law" is not the same as being "generally... seen as equal", which is what you wrote. There is PLENTY of evidence of widespread racism in every single Avernum game. Obviously, it has subsided a bit over time, but it's in A5, too.
- Third, we know that Prazac made efforts to recognize Nephils and Sliths. But we have absolutely no evidence that they are in fact equal under the law. Given that Jeff has consistently represented the Empire as being bureaucratic, slow to change, and stubborn, and given how many people -- Empire officials most of all! -- continue to express negativity towards demihumans, it seems unlikely that they would have achieved total equality.
- The fact is that many people do see them as equals: and many people don't.
- ---Slarty 10:40, 21 January 2008 (PST)